Although many (but not all) of these books are out of print they are available as pdf documents and are still of interest. Click on the images to open the files.
- Orchids of South Australia by R J Bates & J Z Weber (1990) 241 pages (currently unavailable)
- Species Names & Their Synonyms Chapter 11, South Australia’s Native Orchids 2011
This chapter contains a list of all the orchids in the DVD with their synonyms. Orchids names have undergone changes over time and as a result different publications will have different names. This chapter was written to help link the different names. The names used in this disk have been found to be eminently practical for identifying orchids when out in the field.
- Victoria’s Small Caladenias by Rudie Kuiter 1st edition 45 pages
There is an updated enlarged second edition which is only available as a hard copy and is worth purchasing from the author.
- An Introduction to the Study of South Australian Orchids by R S Rogers, (1911) 2nd edition, revised and enlarged 64 pages
- The Vocabulary of Orchids: An Amateur Perspective by Allen B. Martin (2005) 1,161 pages
- Ladies Botany Volume I John Lindley (1834 – 1837) The orchid chapter begins on page 223 of the book
- Flowering Times of Tasmanian Orchids: A Practical Guide for Field Botanists Mark Wapstra, Nina Roberts, Hans and Annie Wapstra. Self-published by the authors (May 2012 3rd Edition).
- Australian Orchid Genera Glossary is helpful with understanding some of the orchid terms used by botanist.
- Preview Changes Alignment of Western Australian Diuris and Pterostylis names and Alignment of Western Australian Caladenia names both updated January 2017 and refer to three WA orchid field guides.
- Checklist of the Orchids of Australia Including its Island Territories produced by orchidologists across the country but names are not necessarily accepted by other orchidologists.
All of these books have been found on online and can be freely downloaded. Click on the image to download